Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cascading Failures

It’s amazing how small breakages can instantly get worse. I was out sailing last night in some nice 10-15 kt breeze and the boat was felling really good. I made a high-speed pass of the shoreline and suddenly BLAM the vang explodes. The boat goes instantly out of control and I spin and crash fairly violently. A quick look at the vang confirms that one of the small attachment lines has worn through and exploded. No big deal, I can re-tie it on the water and keep sailing. After fixing the vang I take off again but the rudder has a terrible vibration, something is clearly very wrong. I stop the boat and go back to check the rudder, everything looks ok, but on closer inspection I see that the rudder has split down the middle. You may remember that the daggerboard did the same thing to me last year but I was able to fix it and it hasn’t had any trouble since. But it’s strange how a simple broken line on the vang can cascade to a broken rudder. I’m really hoping that I’m running out of things on this boat that can break, but I shouldn’t be too surprised about failures as I start to push the boat harder. Thankfully this is another easy fix. Test, learn, improve.

I did find the cause of the mysterly leak too. There was a small crack in the chine below the hole that my brother put in the side with his head. Right now its fixed with a piece of tape. Yet another easy fix :)

No comments: