Wednesday, August 24, 2011

20 Knot Barrier = Broken!

I know that doing 20 kts on a moth is really nothing special, but breaking 20 kts on homebuild with homemade foils is still pretty cool in my book. I went out tonight expecting to a 10-15 kt breeze but was pleasantly surprised with a 10-20 kt breeze with some higher gusts. On two separate runs I recorded speeds on the GPS of over 20 kts with a max speed of 20.9 kts. The boat did very well, but I felt like I needed to change my pants afterwards. No matter how you cut it, 20 kts over the water is really fast. I can’t hardly imagine what 30 kts is like.

I’m getting closer to the illusive foiling gibe too. On two different attempts tonight I stayed flat and on the foils all the way through the jibe only to fall off at the very end due to not enough wind and speed. I’m not there yet, but I’m getting very close...

2 comments:

USA3395 said...

Awesome!!

Unknown said...

Good stuff. I don't think I'll forget my first 20 knot sail. It's incredibly satisfying having made all the stuff!