Saturday, July 10, 2010

Resounding Success!

Today was the first real day of sailing on Mothball 1 and I must say that it was a resounding success. After a marathon repair session yesterday we fixed all the broken parts and reassembled everything early this morning. My brother had to leave early so I let him go out first. I tried to follow on his keel boat but the motor crapped out so I couldn't take any pictures. He came back in and was surprised that the boat had taken off and foiled instantly. I was surprised too. He needed to leave so I went out on the boat and spent the next two hours on the water foiling most of the time in a nice 8-10 kt breeze. The boat feels great. Surprising good actually. The wand response is good, the rudder foil adjusts well and trimming the boat is easy, the rudder is surprisingly balanced, the rig works fine, and the only thing that broke is was one tramp string. I even tried to pull off a foiling jibe, it failed miserably but whatever. I was expecting to have major mods to do after the first real sail, but all I really have to do is inspect everything to look for problems areas and do some refinement on some of the systems.

2 comments:

derek said...

So awesome! I am really happy for you.

You don't mention how much swimming you did...

:)

Hepialidae said...

Congrats.