Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bent Wand/Simple Ride Height Adjuster?

So I built my bent wand, it was quite simple. The main section is made of stiff carbon tube and bottom is a solid small diameter carbon round which is fairly flexible and fits inside the main tube. The lower section is set at about 50 deg off from main tube and has float made from a half section of larger carbon tube. When the boat is flying less than 10 cm above the water it will be controlled by the short main section and above that the 'bent' section will take control. Should work good I think. But I was playing with it and I came up with another cool feature than I could implement. Using the bent wand it would be easy to make a simple ride height adjuster. Simply attach a small diameter line the end of wand and then wrap it over the wand pivot and back to the cockpit. If you tighten this line the wand bends and effectively gets shorter. Simple. Will it work in the real world? I don't see why it wouldn't. Yes the tension on the line will have a small effect on wand pivot, but this effect could easily be compensated by adjusting the wand tensioner. No moving parts, nothing to get jammed, and very little added weight.

2 comments:

Giovanni Galeotti said...

I have used this concept for two years on my training boat. It works but it is a little agricultural. Better than nothing but not super precise. Has an effect on gearing as well which is probably favourable.

Drawback is you need a relatively soft wand for it to work and control line adjustment is coarse (and making it finer adds complication which negates the inherent simplicity of this setup).

Limbic Candy said...

It'd be really nice to see some photos!