Sunday, May 15, 2011

Back on the Water

The 2011 moth season has officially begun with a short but successful trip out onto the water. The boat worked great, the pilot not so much. But I didn't die or get hypothermia so I guess that's a good thing. Plus I got some pics! When I first headed out the wind was about perfect, probably 12kts and steady, good conditions for the first boating of the year. After getting things sorted a bit I headed out again but the wind was starting to come up more. By the time I turned around it was blowing pretty solid 20kts. I now know that I suck at reaching in 20kts. I had a really hard time getting the boat into a grove and I crashed to windward a lot. Thankfully Mothball 1 seems to have a good bow shape for going nose in. For as many times as she went in she never really felt like she was going to go down the mineshaft, even with the bow completely submerged to the mast.


I ended up in this position a lot. I could get up and going no problem and i was trying to keep the boat healed to windward, but I think I'm underestimating how much leverage you get with the boat when you are up on the foils. Clearly there was some wind out there though.


This is the only shot I got of actual foiling. Sorry for the blurry image, but I kind of like it. Its so blurry that its almost artsy. Anyway, the boat is clearly riding high, I could probably use more vang though. Man these sails need a lot of vang. A few rig mods to make now but I think Mothball 1 is going to have a very productive summer.

4 comments:

Doug Culnane said...

Dude pull your kicker on and you will have much more stability in the air. It will be a lot more fun, as you will not get thrown into windward so much.

All th ebest,

Doug Culnane

Phil Stevenson said...

exactly what Doug said, except if you do not understand pommy language, pull on the VANG.

Bob Abelin said...

Thanks guys, luckily I roomed with a team from the UK at the I14 Worlds one year so I can translate from pom to english fairly well :D I've also changed my vang and bumped it up from 12:1 to a 16:1. Does that sound about right? What is everyone running on the cunningham these days? I have 6:1 but it seems like I could use a lot more.

MalteM said...

Pulling on more cunningham actually becomes easier once you pull on more vang. Took me a while to figure that one out...