Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Interior Structure


Here is the interior of the boat. There is a bit more work to do here, but its getting pretty close to done. Once the interior is done all I need to do is put the deck on. I could do that pretty soon, but I'll probably leave it off till I get more parts finished, cuz once its on, there is no opening it up again.


In the middle of the boat you'll see the daggerboard box. The box is made out of plywood with a layer of carbon inside of the box for added strength. Note the tabs along the end of the box (they are covered with a bit epoxy). I made the box with these tabs on both side so that the box could be assembled with precision inside the boat and then bogged in place. As anyone who's worked with epoxy knows, lining up parts can be tough when gluing multple pieces together. The tabs on the box were aligned precisely so that it could only fit together one way.

You'll also notice that the box is slightly larger than it needs to be. Infact its 1" x 8" which is much larger than any modern daggerboard. But since I don't have the foils yet I made the box larger than necessary so that I can finish the boat without having my foils and know that I can make anything fit. Once I get the foils I'll make and insert for the box that will exactly fit the foils. This way I can also change foils in the future without much trouble.

2 comments:

derek said...

Sweet! I can't wait to see it!

Unknown said...

Waiting to see more Bob, whats going on?