Friday, June 18, 2010

The Finish is Near


Spent most of the day doing misc. finish work on the boat. This thing is nearly done. I have a variety of small items left to finish, but it could be operational in a matter of hours... if it weren't for the FREEKING daggerboard. Sigh. The daggerboard is still in many parts with a few critical components missing, namely a 2mm push rod. I'm doing my best to get one made and I have another on backorder, but still no luck. I don't want to assemble the daggerboard without it, cuz if something doesn't work when I insert the rod, I'm totally screwed. So instead I'm waiting and waiting and waiting...

3 comments:

MARKLA said...

please proof load that gantry or representative test samples.

I broke two home builds before engineering one which has stood up.

The diagonal members should be able to take of compression 520kg without buckling.

The bottom member should be able to take 200kg in tension.

Bob Abelin said...

I should do some more testing on it. It is reasonably stout, square sections of solid oak doubled up at the ends and reinforced with carbon and kevlar at the joints. That being said, I don't really know how strong it needs to be, thanks for supplying some numbers.

Chris Williams said...

Hey Bob, use this for your pushrod:

http://www.smallparts.com/Stainless-Condition-Straightened-Diameter-Length/dp/B000FMYCSO?ie=UTF8&sr=1-2&qid=1277326878&filterBy.item_diameter_derived=0.078%20inches&filterBy.material_browse=16418671&pf_rd_r=0T4Q51KAQ7J1SVXK7YTV&pf_rd_m=A2LPUKX2E7NPQV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=16414431&pf_rd_p=1261382302&pf_rd_s=center-3

And buy this to do the ends:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000143920208

Best of luck.