Thursday, June 21, 2012

Stainless, Brass, or Carbon?


I’m in the process of building a new gantry out of carbon.  It looks really good (pics soon), but I’m planning on upgrading my rudder pin in the process.  Right now I’m using a ¼” stainless pin which has worked fairly well, but I’ve bent it several times so I don’t think it’s really up to the task.  For a replacement my choices are 5/16” stainless, brass, or carbon rod.  Stainless is the most obvious choice but it seems like brass may work just as well and is far easier to work with. My other choice is a solid carbon rod which would be way lighter than the metal rods but I’m not sure if it would be up to the task.  Carbon would also be able to flex without bending and could shear off without damaging the rudder.  Any advice?

2 comments:

Koos said...

Been wondering about that one too after slicing a fish: http://internationalmoth.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/revenge-of-the-fish-5/

Been sailing with a 8 mm brass pin for a month now, and it's been holding (hitting more fish in the process). Downside: it starts to corrode slowly making the surface rough, and the pin harder to pull out. So, I'm moving back to SS.
Somehow I'd think carbon wouldn't take the impact of hitting objects under water.

Carlos said...

Hello Bob,
Built the first moth in my country. I have doubts about the distance between the stem to the base of the mast, because my boat has a tendency to the excessive budget. I thank you for help.
Response to cfscheibler2@yahoo.com.br

Carlos